Tidbits in Timothy
I Timothy 5
Responsible Relationships in the Family of God (Part 1)
- Notice the family-type relationships between God’s people of all ages, vv. 1-2.
- Remember Ephesians 3:14-15; Matthew 23:8.
- We are all spiritual peers as children of God; even the preachers and teachers, with the rest.
- Matthew 23:9-12
- Notice it is a mindset.
- We have a responsibility to give due respect to those who have earned it with age.
- Leviticus 19:32; Proverbs 16:31
- By contrast, Isaiah 3:5; Lamentations 5:5-12
- Even in spiritual correction, there must be honor in recognition of age, v. 1.
- What might the older man or woman feel if improperly chided by a younger spiritual leader?
- What can a "father" offer a younger preacher?
- What can he offer the other younger men in the church?
- In what ways can a "mother" help preachers and younger people in the church?
- "...sisters, with all purity." Again, notice this is a mindset, from which actions will follow.
- You have a responsibility to make up your mind how to properly think of others.
- We are all mentioned in verses 1-2. What kinds of responsibilities do we have in helping others think rightly of us?
- Elder men as fathers?
- Younger men as brethren?
- Elder women as mothers?
- Younger women as sisters?